Courgette Cake with Orange Glaze
- 2 medium courgettes, grated (for a more textured effect, mix 2 different grates)
- 65g finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp apple sauce*
- 230ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp grated ginger
- 115ml virgin olive oil
- 260g self-raising flour
- 2⁄3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sodium bicarbonate
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 150g sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp all spice
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
For the glaze:
- 3⁄4 jar of FruitTree DolceVita Orange spread
- 2 tbsp hot water
For the apple sauce:
- 1 large apple, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- Cook on medium heat in a pan for 15-20 minutes until it thickens.
- Preheat oven to 180C / 160C fan / gas 4.
- Grease a 24cm cake tin or a fluted bundt pan.
- Make the apple sauce.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sodium bicarbonate, salt and sugar, all spice and cinnamon. Stir well so all the ingredients are mixed evenly.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the apple sauce, orange juice, ginger and olive oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients until everything is well combined.
- Add the courgettes and the walnuts. Fold in gently.
- Evenly spread the batter into the cake tin and bake for 45 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Whilst the cake is cooling on a rack, make the glaze by heating up FruitTree DolceVita Orange spread with the hot water. Stir for a few minutes, without it starting to boil, then brush onto the warm cake. Any leftover glaze could be used as a sauce to add to a slice of cake when served.